“Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”Matthew 17:20 (NIV)
I like to think that I have the faith of at least the mustard seed. Well, I like to think that I have more faith than the mustard seed.
I can’t move mountains. So does that mean I don’t have faith or enough faith? Not at all. Christians are in various stages of growth in their walk with Christ.
Because we are in various stages, sometimes it takes time to cultivate this growth. We all had to start somewhere. I can recall back to when I was a new Christian, a baby Christian if you will.
I was taught the basics of being a Christ follower (insert mustard seed here). Then as I grew and began my growth cultivating my faith, drawing closer to God, therefore growing my (tree) of faith into a relationship with God.
Wow the mustard seed, one of the tiniest seeds, grows into a stunning tree. Did you know, that the mustard tree grows to about 20 feet, growing about an inch a week, and grows to full height within about 8 tears?
Sometimes it seems as though my mustard tree is wilted and dry craving living water. It happens, life brings with it circumstances both bad and good. We have seasons in life. Both wilted and dry to lush and fertile.
I find as I seek Jesus and knock at his door with my heart he brings my plant inside. He nurtures and cares for me. He waters me with his living water and feeds me with his son-shine. He nurtures my growth." He waters me with his living water and feeds me with his son-shine. He nurtures my growth." Click To Tweet
Lessons to be had from the mustard seed
- Caring: Do we care enough to try to get to know Christ and nurture a relationship with him? ( emphasis on relationship).
- Commitment: Our relationship with Christ can’t grow without our commitment.
- Start small: the mustard seed (us) starts small underground growing in baby steps if you will.
- Having faith: Even faith the size of a mustard seed can make the impossible possible.
- Listen: Be quiet and still. Pay attention. Sometimes Jesus whispers and may give us a nudge. Other times he will speak to our hearts.
With precise care, we can become a hearty, thriving ” plant” that sustains life. Life from the living water of Jesus. Jesus used the analogy of the mustard seed for the kingdom of God. We can grow into one of the largest of garden plants.With precise care, we can become a hearty, thriving " plant" that sustains life. Click To Tweet