My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.John 10:27 NIV
I was thinking about the many ways we can hear God’s voice. And my fear of ” what if I miss it”. So I began delving into the oh so many ways he can speak to us. So here’s what I came up with.
- Through His Word.
- Through pictures
- Through other people
- And through our thoughts
Then, I dug further. According to Dr. Charles Stanley, God spoke to his people differently during Old Testament times, such as:
- Direct Revelation ( audible voice)
- Written word
- And then Jesus Christ ( Jesus is the word of God made flesh)[ John 1:14].
- And through the Holy Spirit.
- Angel’s ( Messengers from God)
Then if we aren’t listening to Him. He has other ways to get our attention. Such as, but not limited to:
- A restlessness that prompts us to seek Him out
- Both Good & Bad circumstances
- And sometimes, flat out saying NO, to keep us from straying off course ( Dr. Charles Stanley: Listening to God).
God wants to have a loving relationship with us. He will guide us every day saying NO to things that would bring us harm, or fall into evil or temptation. He will say YES to the things that will bring us blessings, obeying, and living accordingly.
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weaknesses. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.Romans 8:28 NIV
In what ways has God spoken to you? Are you listening for him?
*This post was originally published on September 16, 2020